Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Co$t of Co$play


The Co$t of Co$play

Budgeting Around Your Hobby


Cosplay is an expensive hobby.... or at least it can be. 
The trick to being a cosplayer, and being financially responsible, is budgeting and planning.



I personally like to at least do a preliminary list at the start of each new year. This is a list of conventions I am planning on attending and cosplays I want to do at those conventions.

This not only gives me and idea of what my time frame for builds will be, but it sets out a financial map for supplies I will need.


Now, of course, this list will change and mold. Sometimes group cosplays come up, or I have a new idea that I really want to push to the top of my list, but generally its a great place to start with budgeting.

The key for me with cosplay budgeting is to not buy everything I need for a cosplay all at once!
I will slowly collect the items or fabrics I need, this way I can spread my funds out, rather than dropping a butt load of money in one swoop!

This also lets me take better advantages of sales and coupons!
(BTW- In case you didn't know, Places like Joann's, Hancocks, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby take competitor coupons!)
Coupons are a cosplayer's best friend!

I am a cosplayer who prefers to make all or most of my cosplays.
this can be a big factor in racking up the bill for cosplays too!

Sometimes the best choice can be to outsource pieces of your costume depending on what they are.

I work closely with Michelle over at Damsel in this Dress when I have a cosplay that requires a corset. Michelle owns a company that does nothing but makes corsets, so she is able to get the supplies needed at a much lower cost. Working with her allows me the opportunity to stay involved with the design process, while being fiscally responsible.
AND
Added bonus, I get to help promote the amazing work of a friend and build her business!
Everybody wins!


Just remember: Goodwill is your friend!

Utilizing thrift shops is a great way to save money as a cosplayer. 
I often will go shopping for clothing or bedding, and cannibalize those items for fabric! This can be wayyyyyy cheaper than a trip to Joann's, and often I can find different fabrics I wouldn't have!
The trick is to stay creative. Using things like sheet as lining in a costume can keep a couple more $$$ in your pocket!



Now I know its become a thing for cosplayers to put amazon wish lists out there, or even straight up ask people to buy their cosplay supplies for them.
Frankly I think this isn't okay, so its not something I participate in.


People's money is their own, and in the end they will do with it what they want, but I think morally we have to ask ourselves where the line is.
Also, its not needed!
I've been a cosplayer on a variety of budgets, and I always find a way to make it work!

So, if you can think ahead and be a coupon cutter, a deal shopper, and a smart planner; then any cosplay should be in the realm of possible for you!

$$$

No comments:

Post a Comment