Thursday, February 7, 2013

Time And Relative Dimension In Space


Time And Relative Dimension In Space 

The TARDIS is a geek icon. It is a ship, and companion, a lover, a friend, an adviser, and so much more. Never in the course of television has there been an object with such vivaciousness and personality as that lovely blue box.
All of this is why I love to cosplay it. The TARDIS has always held a very dear place in my heart. Doctor Who is easily one of the main reason I began cosplay in the first place.
The TARDIS is one costume that has gone through many stages with me, and hopefully will continue to in the future. It is easily the one character I do that exemplifies the growth I have gone through as a cosplayer over these past 2 years.
Cosplay is a process. I have heard, many times, people who wish they were as good as top cosplayers like Yaya Han. I like to remind folks who wish this that cosplay is a process. With each costume you grow and become better at your craft. Someone like Yaya has been doing this for years. That's how she got so amazing.
I wanted to share with you my personal cosplay progression as it pertains to my love of the TARDIS. I hope this inspires other to keep at it. With every costume you get better. You learn new things, and try new tricks.
Just be sure that you are always growing.

TARDIS version #1 (Debuted at Dragon*Con 2011)


This version of the TARDIS is actually the second cosplay I ever made.
-The corset and bolero is store bought, but everything else is made by me
-I attached velveteen windows to the corset
-I created the Police Box ribbon by utilizing iron on transfers, and then attached it to the bolero
-The skirt is made by creating four separate panels and sewing them together, then using wooden rods to hold the pyramid shape of the skirt
-I finished by using iron-on's to place the signs on the skirt, and done!
-NOT PICTURED: I created a lantern head piece using a tea light lantern, a headband, and some LED lights. It actually lights up!


Steampunk TARDIS (Debuted at Timegate 2012)

This version of the TARDIS was designed and created as part of a Steampunk Doctor Who Dragon*Con parade group
-Custom clockwork fabric was designed by me, and created on Spoonflower
- Corset was commissioned by the amazing Michelle at Damsel in this Dress


-NOTE: it is vital to have a corset that fit correctly! I cannot stress this enough. This is the whole reason I do not make my own corsets. If you wear a corset that has not properly be made, or does not fit you perfectly it can cause irreversible damage, especially if you are like me and have pre-existing back problems. Don't skimp if you are a corset wearer (like me!)
- To build the hoop skirt, I bought a cheap hoop skirt online. I then tore the entire thing apart so I was able to use the hoops themselves. I then used ribbons to create the new caged body of the hoop skirt
-Again, I used iron-on transfers on the ribbon to add the Police Box detailing
-The over skirt is actually two layers. The top layer made of the custom clockwork fabric, and the interior layer, which is actually painted to look like the inside walls of the TARDIS, should anyone happen to catch a glimps :-)


-The St, Johns patch is custom fabric I had made, as is the Pull to Open sign
-I also chose to make the Pull to Open sign a pocket to allow me to keep hold of all my  nick-nacks that I may need. The interior of the pocket is an iron on of the same sign, so if the inner part is ever revealed, it matches!
-Wig was bought through Arda Wigs
-The mask was made by the amazing GypsyRogue 

-The bolero is hand made with the help of my good friend Kollette. This was one of the first "make my own patterns" I had ever done. The window panels are each a separate piece, along with the clockwork sleeves
- The goggles were obtained through ebay

-the hat was customized by me with clocks, lace, and feathers

Harlequin TARDIS (debuted at New Orleans Comic Con 2012)

This version was inspired by the history and culture of New Orleans
-The corset is again one from Damsel in this Dress
-The tights are from We Love Colors
-The cincher skirt was made and customized for this costume by my good friend Ashley at Corsairs Boutique. It has diamond shaped windows to keep up with the Harlequin theme
-The tutu skirt was hand made by me. It had black, white, and blue strands colored throughout it
The shirt was also hand made by me

-The necklace has the key to the TARDIS on it-The hair pom poms were each hand made to match the skirt
-There is also a Harlequin Mask ring that goes with this cosplay
-Make-Up done by me



Work in Progress: 1920's Flapper TARDIS (to be Debuted at Timegate 2013)

-Dress was bought from etsy
-Wig obtained from ebay
-Cloth Boa is being made from the Pull to Open sign
-Flask/ Purse are designed to represent the windows
-Police Box headband
-Feather Lantern hair barrette


Future Plans

I am also currently working on my TARDIS for Dragon*Con 2013. This is a super secret project that I am thrilled to be working on with The Doctor and GypsyRogue. I have yet to see anything like it, and I hope you will love it as much as I do!!!

I always get thrilled when I can bring something new and relativity undone to the cosplay community. Nothing excited me more than to inspire others to join in this amazing hobby I have grown to love so much!

Cosplay is a wonderful place, often full of love, support, and friends....
As long as you are true to what you love, you really can't be doing it wrong!
www.facebook.com/BewitchedRavenCosplay




1 comment:

  1. Somehow you've made me love the TARDIS even more than I already do. Beautiful, creative, wonderful work, can't see what you have coming next.

    ReplyDelete