Thursday, April 4, 2013

To Cover, Or Not To Cover...... That Is The Question


As a female cosplayer I have, of coursed, noticed the trend of female cosplayers leaning towards more revealing costumes.

So the question becomes, is this wrong or right?
And of course the answer is neither!

Over the last few days I have seen a few different articles arise that do bring up some very good issues on the subject, and really get us thinking. Two of which that I have enjoyed are:

Drawing the impossible? Fully dressed Superheroines

Costumes Are Not Consent: Combatting Cosplayer Harassment

So why do I say neither you may ask...
While of course I do this it is important to keep in mind your location when selecting your cosplay choices (ex: maybe you should cover up if your going to be at a con with a large number of children vs adults), however in the end what you wear is your choice!

It's not what we wear, but how and why we wear it!


I firmly believe that the issue we have in the cosplay community isn't about how covered or uncovered ladies are, but understanding the motivation behind the choice!


I believe its vital for us, as women picking a costume, to decide why and who we are wearing it for.

Heroins like Wonder Woman and Power Girl don't get into their costumes and think "Oh man I hope everyone thinks my butt and boobs look great!" So why should we!


Everyone is different. We each have levels of comfort that we welcome into our lives.
It isn't a question of feminism, the human race being forced to embracing sexuality, or the belief that nudity is wrong. Everyone is going to be different. 
Its about being true to who we are as individuals and being honest with our motives.
If you are a cosplayer who wants to dress in a revealing manner because you like the attention that comes with it, good for you! Embrace it! Own it! Scream it to the world! Don't give the haters the chance to question your motives.
Disney's Belle
Artwork of Belle by J Scott Campbell
How we compose ourselves can be a huge indicator on our motives. Being strong and poised vs presenting your butt and breasts in person and photos can indicate to those around you what your going for.
Keep these things in mind when wearing your costume. If you don't want the idolizing attention that can come with overtly sexualizing yourself, then don't give them the chance."Slut shaming" shouldn't be apart of the cosplay community, but in reality it is. So why allow shame to be apart of it?

My Choice:

As a cosplayer, I prefer to be more covered than many cosplayer. I feel sexy and empowered when there is more to the imagination! That doesn't mean my way is right; it means my way is right for me! This is not to say I wont ever do more revealing cosplays, but I will be sure that I do them for me, and my own reasons... not to build followers, or to gain attention, or be notice, but because I love the character!!! That's just who I am 
Dork-a-saurus Rex!
It is also important to remember that we are always being watched! 
As Seriously Dan points out, How we present ourselves at a con with our personal friends and those we love may be different that how we interact with our "fans", but we must keep in mind that eyes are always upon us, and onlookers may think "Oh hey, I guess she is okay if I grab her ass since that guy just did it!"

My advice: OWN IT! Be exactly what you want!
Don't hide behind a shield of modesty, accusations of others, or needless defending if that's not who you are!
Once we become comfortable with our motives and our choices only then will this "issue" disappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment