Thursday, March 21, 2013

Speak Up, Stand Up, Be Strong!

The cosplay community is a place that is often full of support and love, however, as in all communities, there is a darker side. 

Bullying is alive and kicking, even in cosplay.


This is an issue that I hold very close to me. It is something that I cannot stand on any level, especially when it effects something I love. 

Many cosplayers have been through the hurt and pain of bullying at some point in their lives. We are a unique group of people, we find joy in a way that much of the world doesn't understand. This, of course, will lead to the type of bullying that comes from ignorance and insecurities, but what about the bullying that comes from our fellow cosplayers.
Cosplayer hate is something that astounds and confuses me.
I attend a con, or go online, and all you can see and hear is messages and words of hate and judgement.

Its truly becoming an epidemic.

Be aware of your actions. Many people have been a bully before, and haven't even realized it.
  • If you have posted a harsh, cruel, or judging comment online.... even knowing that person would never see it. You are a bully.
  • If you make a point to seek out those online or in person, just so you can judge them either out loud or silently... You are a bully.
  • If you ignore other cosplayers because you think your cosplay is better... You are a bully.

Bullying come in many ways that we don't even see as bullying. Sometimes it can be hard to stop bullying, when we don't even realize its happening.

When I am faced with a bully, here are some actions I chose to take.

  • If happening in an online forum (like Facebook or Twitter)  utilize the "block" function! I know it can't keep people from visiting a fan page and seeing what is written there, but it can be incredible empowering to YOU! Knowing that you stood against those types of people gives you strength and courage!!!
  • If you have people in your life who bring you hurt and pain, simply remove them. This is something I had to learn in the last few years. We can all want to help those we may care about, but there comes a time when you need to love yourself! So Simply Let Them Go.
  • If you are forced to face a bully in person (like at a convention or a gaming event), this can be the hardest. You can be filled with damaging emotions that the bully has instilled in you. Often times you may feel like running, but remember you have a right to be there! You are a strong person who is important. DO NOT change yourself or your actions for a bully. Show the world the love you have for yourself.
  • Find a friend. I have been blessed with some of the greatest people I have ever known as friends. When you surround yourself with good, kind, loving people; then your life will be filled with all those things. Real friends not only listen when you hurt, but offer their hand to pull you from the pain. 
Bullying doesn't have to continue. If we each can make it our goal to not only better ourselves, but not tolerate bullying when we see and hear it, then we can help end it!
If you are being bullied, find a place, like Cosplayers Against Bullying, that can help you find support and advice.

We don't have to like everyone, but we do have to respect them.



"you know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before."-The Doctor




2 comments:

  1. Hey this is Randa from WAB! Thank you so much for sharing this with my site! I want to applaud you for speaking out against this type of bullying because I've seen it firsthand. I posted your journal on the front page and I wish you much luck with your cosplays! I love stuff like this and one day I hope to attend a con. I either want to dress up as a girl version of The 5th Doctor, a Lady Ghostbuster, or Alice from Resident Evil!

    I also love Tudor times and I want to dress as Anne Boleyn one day because I always admire her. Plus, I am addicted to corsets hehe. Take care girl and stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to thank you for a great post on the 'bullying is bad' theme. We all know what bullying feels like, but it's great to see someone give some tips on how to empower oneself after an episode.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete