Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Stitch in Time


When working in cosplay, cost vs home made can often be a troubling topic for some.


When, as a cosplayer, do you have to decide on being cost efficient, or saying "I made my own"
If you're like me then cosplay is a part time hobby. An expensive part time hobby.
Often time I find myself weighing the cost of a costume, to the possibility to me being able to bring it to life to the caliber I want.

Being able to claim "I made this" is a place of pride in all cosplayers. The hard work and dedication that goes into a costume is tremendous, and being recognized for that work is highly rewarding. Making your own costumes allows us to grow and discover new skills. We are able to find new tricks and tips to share with our community.


As a cosplayer, there I times I have to weigh the cost of making my own, or buying.
I'm not made of money (not matter how much I wish I was)
When an item can be bough, such as a bodysuit, shoes, etc, or I can make my own I must weigh 3 things.
1. The cost of buying
2. The cost of materials
3. The cost of my time

I've come down to an equation that I must adhere by when faced with this problem
if 1. < (2.+3.)..... then 1. it is.



All I can say is that you must make this choice for yourself.
I believe in keeping my life balanced.
Cosplay brings me a lot of joy, but when the cost begins to outweigh that joy (weather it be due to money, time away from loved ones, or anything) then you need to make a choice.

Remember, its a hobby. It is suppose to be fun.
Do what you must to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment